There was a time when you were looking for work...anywhere you could find it! But now, the word is out! You are great and word-of-mouth has spread about your amazing skills! The busy wedding and event season is upon us...how will you cope with your ambitious schedule this year and balance your personal life?
Start thinking about it now (or hopefully before now) to avoid finding yourself working everyday during the week without a break! Don't forget to schedule a LIFE in your timelines... don't turn down invitations from your family and friends...you have to balance your business life with your personal one. Even if you are a newbie in the industry...these are great tips to keep in mind to ensure that you don't start to regret the things you were once so passionate about!
Here are some tips to stay ahead of the game:
1. Make time out for exercise, don't forget to eat regular, healthy meals, and take daily vitamins! This is where your energy comes from! Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
2. Define your target clients through strategic advertising and make sure your pricing is not too low! Create marketing campaigns that attract creative, innovative clients that will keep you excited and motivated. If you are super-busy but are also super-exhausted, chances are, your prices are much low. Charge what you are worth and work smarter and not harder and don't spread yourself too thin. Even though you have to pay the bills, learn to say no if the project does not fit you...you will be very happy you did...go with your 'gut feeling' during your free consultation with clients!
3. Schedule a day off once in awhile just for yourself! After all, you are the BOSS! A day off at the spa for a nice massage and/or facial is refreshing. A walk through an art gallery or to a workshop can bring inspiration and new ideas. Make sure you have other passions outside of your business...schedule in the FUN! Don't forget to make time for your friends and family...life can become really lonely after a while if the only people calling you are clients!
4. Prioritize your day! Don't forget to make a to-do list so that you don't get off track...the little things tend to get lost if you don't write them down! But always try to start your day by exercising or going for a short walk! Believe me...you will be a much better person if you take at least a few moments for yourself first.
5. Find time to volunteer somewhere! This may seem impossible, but it is so necessary! Everything you do shouldn't be for money. You will feel so fulfilled by helping out with a local networking group, teach a class, mentor a new vendor, or make a motivational speech at a local school or group. This will also get the word out about your expertise level!
6. Find an assistant (or two or three)! If you are trying to do it all yourself, you will be so happy once you find some help! Take the time to train your assistant properly to be able to breathe and balance off your business life!
7. Join a networking group(s)! You will find true inspiration and delight in talking and making time for your peers! Not only will you find out that quite a few people are going through the same things as you, but you can solicit each other's help for events!
8. Attend outside events as often as you can! By all means, attend events and functions, other than just the ones you manage, whenever possible. Go to these events and sit back and gather up the new ideas you see! Also, see what's not being done so you can learn what you need to offer to your clients!
9. Be the best 'YOU' that you can be! Continuously reinvent yourself...don't compare yourself to others, keep yourself fresh with your own unique ideas! Take webinars, read magazines and books, and go to industry conferences! You will always find something new to incorporate into your business! Refresh your brand, if needed!
Enjoy the busy wedding season! And don't forget to have FUN!